Novi Sad (Serbian Cyrillic: Нови Сад, pronounced [nóviː sâːd] ( listen)) is the capital of the northern Serbian province of Vojvodina, and the administrative centre of the South Bačka District. The city is located in the southern part of Pannonian Plain on the Danube river.
The most recognized structure in Novi Sad is Petrovaradin Fortress, which dominates the city and with scenic views of the city. It is located on the right bank of the Danube river. The cornerstone of the present-day southern part of the fortress was laid on October 18, 1692, by Charles Eugène de Croÿ. Petrovaradin Fortress has many underground tunnels as well (16 km of underground countermine system).
Štrand (Штранд) is a popular beach on the Danube river in Novi Sad, Serbia. It is located near the Bridge of Liberty, in the city quarter known as Liman.
Its name derives from the German word Strand, meaning simply beach (In German, an initial s is usually pronounced as sh when it comes before a consonant, as in the Yiddish-English shtick, thus, the Serbian š correctly bears a diacritic reflecting this). The presumable reason for origin of this name is the large number of Germans (primarily Donauschwaben) who lived in Novi Sad at the time the beach was opened.
Visit Novi Sadhttp://www.novisad.org/